Monday, July 4, 2016

We Brexited Before it was Cool

This is my second year spending the 4th of July in the UK. It goes without saying that the day isn't a holiday here. However, this time around was notably different from last time. Three years ago when I celebrated America's independence from Britain in London, people at least seemed aware that I am American, that the 4th of July is a holiday for us, and that the United Kingdom was somehow involved. This time around the only thing about the date that anyone acknowledged was that it is a Monday. Not even the Americans we encountered seemed aware of the significance of the day.

Now, I am not one to get all wrapped up in patriotic fervor, but in this year of all years, I expected some kind of acknowledgement from the Brits. Maybe, after 240 years the English might finally be able to say, "okay, we get it, you don't want to be ruled by a governmental body across this sea, we feel the same way."


No comments:

Post a Comment